REECE BURLEY SALES & MARKETING MANAGER AT HEAMAR COMPANY
Reece Burley explains why Heamar Company Limited can support your company regarding tooling and components.
How long has your company been in business, tell us about Heamar and what sectors do you work in?
Heamar Company, with a history spanning three decades, underwent a significant transformation roughly a decade ago through a management buyout, leading to our rebranding as Heamar Company Limited. Today, Heamar Company Ltd stands as a premier supplier of top-tier general and specialized tooling, essential components, and cutting-edge lighting solutions serving a diverse range of industries, including Aerospace, MRO, Industrial, Rail, Defence, and Motorsport.
Boasting over 35 years of expertise in providing tooling solutions for electrical harnesses, encompassing everything from wire cutters to comprehensive DMC electrical kits, Heamar is exceptionally well-prepared to guide customers in making well-informed choices concerning technology, applications, and pertinent industry standards. Our paramount focus
remains on fostering robust connections with both our valued clientele and trusted suppliers, ensuring a swift, professional, and competitive service.
Our unwavering dedication to quality and safety is vividly demonstrated by our attainment of the esteemed BSI AS/ EN 9120 REV B Certification, a standard specially tailored for distributors and suppliers collaborating with original equipment manufacturers. Within the Aviation, Space, Rail, and Defence sectors, where maintaining the highest levels of safety is of paramount importance, our possession of the BSI AS/EN 9120 REV B certification instills complete confidence among our customers when procuring tooling and components, including backshell adapters and accessories, heatshrink boots, and steel banding straps from Heamar. Our unswerving commitment remains in delivering products that not only adhere to the most stringent safety standards but also actively contribute to the triumph of our customers’ projects in these critical sectors.
How have the products and services you offer developed over the years?
The development of products and services over time is influenced by various factors, such as technological advancements, customer needs and preferences, market trends, and competitive pressures. Overall, the evolution of products and services is an ongoing process driven by innovation and changing customer needs. Heamar has some great experience in adapting and embracing these changes and we thrive in a dynamic and competitive market landscape.
What would you say is the most exciting technology in the industry?
The Hyperloop system involves a pod or capsule traveling at high speeds through a near-vacuum tube, reducing air resistance and enabling super-fast transportation. Magnetic levitation (maglev) technology and linear induction motors are used to propel the pod, eliminating the need for traditional wheels and tracks.
It’s important to note that Hyperloop technology is still in the developmental stage, and significant challenges remain, including safety considerations, regulatory approvals, and large-scale implementation, however I do like the thought of our industry thinking outside of the box.
What are some of the biggest challenges this sector currently faces?
The rail industry faces several significant challenges that impact its operations, infrastructure, and overall sustainability. Some of the biggest challenges include:
• Aging Infrastructure – many rail systems around the world have aging infrastructure, which requires extensive maintenance and modernization efforts to ensure safety and efficiency. Upgrading tracks, bridges, signalling systems, and rolling stock is often a costly and time consuming process.
• Capacity and Congestion – urbanisation and population growth in cities have increased demand for rail services. This has led to capacity issues and congestion on rail networks, especially during peak hours, which can result in delays and reduced service reliability.
• Funding and Investment – adequate funding and investment in rail infrastructure are essential to keep the system running smoothly and to address the challenges of aging infrastructure and capacity constraints. Securing long-term financial support can be challenging for many rail operators.
• Environmental Impact – railways are considered a more sustainable mode of transportation compared to many other options, but the industry still faces challenges in reducing its environmental impact further. Measures to increase energy efficiency, minimize emissions, and adopt cleaner technologies are critical for sustainability.
• Safety and Security – rail safety remains a top priority, and preventing accidents, derailments, and incidents involving passengers and staff is crucial. Rail operators must continually enhance safety protocols and implement advanced safety technologies.
How have you seen the industry change over the years?
Over the years, the rail industry has undergone significant changes and developments. Some notable trends and changes include:
• Technological Advancements – the rail industry has embraced various technological advancements to improve efficiency, safety, and customer experience. This includes the adoption of digitalization, data analytics, automation, and the Internet of Things (IoT) to monitor and manage operations more effectively.
• High-Speed Rail – the development and expansion of high-speed rail networks have transformed transportation options in many regions. High-speed trains offer faster travel times and increased connectivity between cities, contributing to economic development and reducing the reliance on short-haul flights.
• Sustainability Initiatives – with a growing focus on environmental sustainability, the rail industry has been promoting its eco-friendly advantages compared to other modes of transport. Electric and hybrid trains, as well as renewable energy sources for rail operations, have gained momentum.
• Improved Passenger Experience – rail operators have invested in improving the overall passenger experience. This includes upgrades to rolling stock, enhanced onboard amenities, Wi-Fi connectivity, and improved ticketing and reservation systems.
Overall, the rail industry has evolved to meet the demands of a changing world, and continuous innovation remains essential for its growth and relevance in modern transportation systems. The industry’s future will likely be influenced by advancements in technology, environmental concerns, changing travel patterns, and the ongoing quest for sustainable and efficient mobility solutions.
How do you make your business a good place to work?
Making a business a good place to work involves fostering a culture of respect, growth, and well-being. Here are twelve key strategies:
1. Transparent Communication.
2. Supportive Leadership.
3. Work-Life Balance.
4. Recognition and Appreciation.
5. Learning and Development.
6. Employee Benefits and Perks.
7. Diversity and Inclusion.
8. Safe and Supportive Environment.
9. Empowerment and Autonomy.
10. Fun and Social Activities.
11. Health and Wellness Initiatives.
12. Purpose and Meaning.
By prioritizing the well-being, growth, and satisfaction of employees, businesses can create a positive work environment that attracts and retains talented individuals, fostering a motivated and engaged workforce.
At some point, every company will face the question of how to continue maximising earnings from their current business practice whilst also investing enough in innovation so they can turn a profit in the future. How can a company achieve the necessary creativity to innovate without compromising their existing business?
Balancing the need for maximising earnings from current business practices while investing in innovation can be challenging but essential for long-term success. To achieve the necessary creativity to innovate without compromising existing business, Heamar needs to consider the following strategies:
• Dedicated Innovation Team.
• Foster a Culture of Innovation.
• Incremental Innovation.
• External Partnerships.
• Allocate Resources Strategically.
• Customer-Centric Approach.
• Long-Term Vision.
• Create Innovation Initiatives.
• Patience and Risk Management.
• Test and Pilot.
• Separate Funding.
• Embrace Failure as Learning.
By adopting a balanced approach to innovation, Heamar can sustain their current business while fostering creativity and preparing for future growth and profitability. The key is to maintain a strategic focus on both short-term earnings and long-term innovation goals.
What types of products and services do you offer?
Heamar Company Limited is a distributor that specialises in providing a range of products and services within the industry.
Some of the types of products and services we offer include:
• General Tooling – Heamar offers a selection of general tools and equipment that are commonly used. These may include hand tools, cutting tools, measuring instruments, and other tooling solutions.
• Specialist Tooling – we provided specialised and precision tools designed for specific applications in aerospace, defence and rail manufacturing and maintenance processes.
• Components – Heamar supplies a variety of components and parts, such as connectors, adapters, fasteners, and electrical components.
• Lighting Solutions – Heamar offers lighting solutions, including LED lighting products.
• Electrical Harness Tools – Heamar specialises in supplying tooling for electrical harnesses, ranging from wirecutters to full DMC electrical kits.
• Steel Banding Straps – steel banding straps are provided for securing and bundling cables and components.
• Tool Kits – Heamar offer full customised tool kits, however we can also support foaming and trollies on their own.